Esplanade Presents | Kalaa Utsavam 2023 • Fistful of Rupees by Stone Paper Stories (India) [Advisory 16: Some mature content and coarse language]24 Nov 2023 (Fri) - 26 Nov 2023 (Sun)
Date and Time
24 Nov 2023 : 19:30 - 20:45
25 Nov 2023 : 19:30 - 20:45
26 Nov 2023 : 15:00 - 16:15
Location / Links
Esplanade Recital Studio
$28.00 - $35.00
“The play is special for those who find themselves caught up in choosing a city to call it home— it lays bare the impossible challenges that Mumbai, Singapore and New York pose.”
– The Mumbai Times
Raghav moves to Mumbai without much of a plan, throwing himself headfirst into the ruckus. After living in quiet and orderly Singapore for many years, Mumbai comes as quite a shock.
Everything feels heightened, louder, brighter, impossible to ignore. He fights the absurd loneliness of the crowded city with lots of laughter, and some bravery.
Incisive and candid with dashes of absurdity, Fistful of Rupees considers the idea of what it means to truly arrive in this expansive and yet tiny world. Flitting between grim realism and outright absurdist humour, the play is both an ode to Mumbai's overpowering personality as well as a heartfelt journey of a young person navigating opportunity and despair with equal earnestness. At some point, Raghav must decide whether he wants to continue to spectate and observe, or finally jump in as well.
Fistful of Rupees was written by artist and theatre maker Shiv Tandan, inspired by his own real-life experiences. The play was featured at Tata LitLive! Mumbai Literature Festival 2018 and in the same year, named runner-up at the International Sultan Padamsee Playwriting Awards, one of the most sought-after awards for English language dramatists in India.
Shiv Tandan is an award-winning writer-director for film and theatre. Shiv's salient work includes Google Creative Lab Australia and Griffin Theatre Company’s trans-media experiment The Next Stage (writer) and Checkpoint Theatre's The Good, the Bad and the Sholay (writer and co-director). Sholay was selected as one of 50 significant works as part of the SG50 celebrations and published in Voices Clear and True: New Singapore Plays Vol 1. More recently, Shiv has written and directed And Now Live, an audio web series, and Say Cheese Grandpa!, a kids play produced by Saregama. Shiv is also Founder of Stone Paper Stories, and Associate Artist at Checkpoint Theatre, Singapore.
- Rating: Advisory 16 [Some mature content and coarse language]
- Admission is subject to tickets produced at the entrance.
- Infants in arms or children below the age of 16 shall not be admitted.
- Children aged 16 years and above must purchase ticket for admission.
Late Seating Advisory
- You are strongly advised to be seated before the performance start time.
- Latecomers will be admitted during suitable breaks, if any.
- Exceptions may be made at Esplanade's discretion depending on the nature of the performance.
Photography/Video Recording Rules
- No unauthorised photography, video and audio recording is allowed for this event.
- Please note that photographs and videos of patrons may be taken at this event for use in our archival and publicity material.
Help Us Keep Everyone Safe
- Strictly no food & beverage allowed in the performance venues.
- Stay at home if you're unwell.
Events That Match Your Vibe
Editor's Top Picks
Be The First To Catch the Hottest Events
Why settle for the ordinary?
Don't wait in line. Get the newest and hottest event updates sent to you!